Monday, May 19, 2008

Whether to post or not to post a negative comment...

The dilemma as to whether to leave or allow the publishing of a negative comment is one that I have had to grapple with. The questions I ask myself are;

1) "Will this comment offend my readers?"

2) "Can anything positive possibly come of this negative comment?"

If I conclude, usually with my husbands calm input, that nothing positive can come of the comment or that it is so hateful that to post it will simply be inflicting hate and pain on my readers - it gets bumped.

Here is a delightful and informative post that will enlighten us all on how to deal with such comments. To read click here. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

4 comments:

j.a.varela said...

I know you are always careful with the comments on your blog. It´s one of the reasons while I visit and recommend it.

j.a.varela

M. Alexander said...

My standard is that if smeone else is being defamed I do not post it but I post anything that criticizes me. I adopted this policy based on cwnews.com which allows negative comments to stand. Either people defend the editorialist or they don't. Rush Limbaugh also ocasionally lets people come on his show and just lambast him. I think it's fair.

When someone points out an error I have made whether a typo or an error of fact, I graciously thank them for their correction. It is an act of humility and really is just on my part. I figure that if my ego is so big I'm going to get upset when someone corrects my spelling then I need the criticism. It has also made me more aware of the comments I leave for others, my tone and whether my criticism really needs to be made.

I say post them and let the chips fall where they may

mum2twelve said...

And I pretty much agree, I do not have problems with comments that criticize me. The times I have not posted a comment it has been because it was so hate filled that nothing positive could come of it. It would simply have inflicted pain on others when they read it. There is enough anger and hatred in the world without my giving a forum for it. :-)

At any rate I simply thought the post by Scribbit made a fun read and wanted to share it. Hope you enjoyed it.

Soutenus said...

Good call! I agree 100% with, "There is enough anger and hatred in the world without my giving a forum for it."

Your website much like mine,(I hope) are not forums for heated debate.