Saturday, April 08, 2006

The Seven Corporal Works of Mercy...

We DID it! With Gabriela's help, I was able to come up with another Mini Poll! Again, it is based on one of the subjects that was studied recently in their theology class.

I thought I would include this wonderful passage from Mathew as it is, I'm sure, part of the basis for the Coporal Works of Mercy. ( I was not around for class that day...)

Mt 25:34 "Then the King will say to those at his right hand, ’Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, ’Lord, when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee drink?’ And the King will answer them, ’Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of my brethren, you did it to me."

Parents, I'm sure can easily answer in the positive as doing this almost daily for the first six. What mother is not giving a drink to hot thirsty fellow who has been playing ball hard out in the sun. Or providing dinner for her hungry brood? How many times a day does a mother change a diaper or help a toddler get dressed? What about the father who leaves the house, day after day, to drive to work through the miserable rush hour so as to provide a roof over the head of his family. Siblings too, should be able to answer in the positive. Do they not rescue a younger sibling from their crib after nap, or release them from the play pen in which they are imprisoned. Do they not also rush to draw a 'get well card' for Mama when she has a headache or to get a band aid for a fallen comrade?

As it is so often said, charity begins at home and by practicing the Corporal Works of Mercy within our family we are preparing our children to know how to sacrifice for others long after they have left home.

I hope you enjoy our new biweekly mini poll and that maybe it provides for some interesting dinner conversation as we challenge each other to think of what Corporal Works of Mercy we have done today.

No comments: