Saturday, April 08, 2006

The joys of being a large family...

Every Friday this winter a very good freind has been traveling out from the city to teach a theology class to five of our children. As if that was not enough, she always brought lunch so as to give me a little break. Yesterday, she brought a plateful of sandwhiches and much to MY delight, brownies.

Wanting to leave the sandwhiches for his younger siblings my 19 year old son put some fries in the oven for himself. As he was waiting for them to cook he grinned at me.

"I put some fries on for Elsita and me." His grin widened. "I can't wait to watch her tiny fingers pinch together to pick up her fries, one at a time."

His joy at anticipating the feeding of his baby sister and his delight at the thought of watching her culinary habits filled me with immeasurable joy as well. Moments like this remind me, why having been open to life and raising such a large family was exactly the right thing for my husband and I to do.

2 comments:

Mama Heffalump said...

*Sweet*

Julie D. said...

These are the stories I love about large family life. :-)