Monday, May 25, 2009

It struck me suddenly...

As it was Sunday - I forced myself to put away my research and my writing. It was hard, with a dead line looming in front of me, to be obedient to the Lord's command to rest on Sunday. However, I reminded myself repeatedly throughout the day when I would trail past my computer and be tempted to maybe sit down and tweak a little detail here or there in my work that, "All work and no play makes Jill a dull girl."

So I borrowed a book from Anna, one of a series of three, and in a few chapters was hooked. I enjoyed a Mother's day type Sunday with my husband making dinner, my son serving it to me as the baby napped on her boppy pillow on my lap and I read, and I read, and I read. Others changed her diaper throughout the day and I only had to enjoy her soft skin, coos and nursing time.

And I read and I read and I read.

At about noon - my darling 18 yr old offered to make me a chai tea. Heavenly! It was just the right sweetness and just the right amount of piping hot. It was so good that early in the evening, as I dove into the last chapters of the same book begun in the morning, I asked her if she would make me another.

Minutes later she arrived with a steaming mug and waited anxiously for my pronouncement that it was as good as the previous one as this time she has used a different sized mug and the teabag had split while it was brewing. It was delicious and as I enjoy the creamy smoothness of this fragrant drink a question suddenly struck me.

"Gabriela, does chai tea have caffeine in it?"

"I don't know!" was her surprised reply. "It might."

My drink three quarters already gone - I plunged on, and downed the last of it. At 2 am, as I tossed and turned, I had plenty of time to repent at leisure.

ignore

1 comment:

Beth said...

I love chai :)