Sunday, September 16, 2007

Fortuitous Question...

Just before Mass began we had the inevitable slew of bathroom requests. I ushered Emma into the only empty stall noting a pair feet in the other one. As I leaned against the door so that she would not have to bother with the lock, I called to her:

"Let me know if you need help, ok?"

From behind the door beside us came a little voice:

"I need some help!!"

Surprised, I glanced down and sure enough those were very little feet behind the door. Worried perhaps someone's small daughter had locked herself in I asked can you unlock the door. She replied in the affirmative and so let me in. She simply had a rather difficult snap that needed done up so I swiftly snapped it for her and she was off without another word.

I guess it was lucky for her that I just happened to ask if someone needed help at the moment she needed it. As I watched her head out the door I felt gratitude for this small moment of service to someone else's child, whom I did not even know and it reminded me of how we are all one family under one God - and we should always be mindful of the opportunity to serve one another.

3 comments:

Beth said...

So sweet! I am sure she was glad you were there!

Anonymous said...

You misuse the word fortuitous. Look it up.

mum2twelve said...

Fortuitous:
2. lucky; fortunate: a series of fortuitous events that advanced her career.

Or... a fortuitous (lucky) question.

More reading on the use of the word fortuitous can be found by looking the word up dictionary.com

Or you can cut and paste this link into your browser...
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fortuitous