Saturday, December 30, 2006

A fond farewell...

After great consideration and prayer, and the reality that I have a lot of paperwork that musts be done, if I am to begin earning a steady wage to help augment the business income, I have come to the sad conclusion that, at least temporally, I must hang up my blogger's hat.

I love to write, but it takes a lot of time and right now I have so much on my plate that I simply can not afford the time to write for pleasure and not for financial gain. I am beginning a home study course that will require quite a few hours of private study, as well as attendance of an out of town workshop, the auditing of a series of childbirth courses, the attendance of six births etc. Once completed, and I pass my exam, I will be a certified DOULA. I hope to also become a certified birth educator, but am starting first as a DOULA, unless I can somehow combine the studies for both things.

I also need to earn the money to pay for the books as well as the workshops etc. (Our library has only ONE of the books on our required reading list!) Therefore, come January I will begin teaching ESL (or ELP) classes again. So I also need to begin to prepare a course outline for my paying clients. I already have a few interested. And of course, I will still be homeschooling, doing tax prep for the business, making travel arrangements for the business etc, and trying to be the best mummy and wife that I can be.

I do hope to continue, on a more relaxed basis, to write reviews and keep them in "storage" so that when I can begin blogging on a regular basis again, I will have a nice back up file of reviews ready for those weeks when time, illness or life does not allow you time to write, and so be able to provide my readers a steady flow of book and movie reviews. It is my hope to maybe someday be able to provide such a steady and reliable serving of reviews that readers will be willing to support it. But financial constraints will not allow me the time to actively follow this dream at this time.

It is very, very hard to let go of my blog, even temporarily. I hope all of my faithful readers (you number well over 100!!) and will check in now and then to see if I have been able to squeeze a post in. I hope that once I have my course work out of the way, and my DOULA /childbirth practice up and running I can begin to blog on a daily basis again. I can not tell you how hard this choice is, but it must be. I will try, once a week, to post something and preferably on the same day of the week.

In the meantime, I bid you Adieu and God Bless!
I will miss you all!
And as always... prayers gratefully accepted!

Happy New Year!!

13 comments:

Bekah said...

I had no idea you were contemplating entering into birth work! Welcome! I share your time crunch, and have limited blogging except for lately when we've been on Christmas vacation.

Sounds like you are doing ALACE. I am one birth shy of my ALACE requirements, though I am now apprenticing and have no idea if I can actually fit personal clients in, too.

On the books, don't neglect interlibrary loan. It may take a little longer to get the books, but it's worth the savings. There are great books on the required reading list, but many are not necessarily needed to be on your personal bookshelf.

To establish a lending library, I've found great deals at the annual library book sales, St. Vincent's, Goodwill, etc. It's a little tougher to get into this if your funds are limited, but completely do-able for one committed.

Anyways, stop by my blog sometime and drop me a note. I've got a few birth stories up that I've done recently, and one I need to finish from the birth this morning, as well as the usual Catholic stuff.

www.roadwelltraveled.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

...Just when I was entering the world of blogs and becoming a regular reader. I so look forward to your posts. Good Luck in your endeavors and I will still check on a regular basis.
Nancy
Jacksonville, FL

Anonymous said...

I must say that you are an inspiration. I was just thinking that I have not worked outside of the home in thirteen years Though we have different dreams,I have been dismissing the idea of schooling that could lead to a job that pays enough to make it worth leaving my family for eight hours a day. My prayers are with you. I will miss your frequent posts,but I will look forward to hearing from you when you find the time. Who knows,I just may also take that plunge. God Bless !

KatieButler said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog and will keep you in my Bloglines subscription for any possible future posts! :) Best of luck on the journey to becoming a doula, and in your teaching.

Anonymous said...

Dear Christi,
I wish you all God's Blessings for the New Year and always. You are a lovely and kind person and you have a most wonderful family. Yours is my favourite blog and i will miss hearing about everyone... though I hope Anna will continue to tell us about everyone.
May God guide you and keep you safe and happy always.

KC said...

While I certainly understand your decision, I will miss reading your posts. Good luck and God bless!

M. Alexander said...

We'll miss you Christi,
Best of luck with your endeavors. More and more people are quitting bloggers and I've thought about it myself sometimes.

God's will be done.
Mary

Anonymous said...

I do understand why you have to stop for now, but just to let you know, I will sorely miss this blog. God bless you and Happy, blessed New Year to you and yours.

Lorcan said...

Happy New Year
Never commit thyself to not doing anything, thee might yet, and thy friends will watch for the times that thee shares a bit of thy joys and hopes and worries with us, thy friends
Happy New Year,
Dearly held in the light
thee and thine,
lor

Unknown said...

Will miss your wonderful humour and thoughtful sharing! I still have you under "Favorites", so I'll be checking in every once in a while...

Best of luck!

wifeorlife

Michelle said...

You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I would love to one day be able to help other women birth their babies but right now have to still focus on birthing my own ;) Well, that and getting better. I am sad to see you take a break but will definitely be checking in to see if you have any updates. Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! God bless all of your new endeavors! I will miss you! *Hugs-a-bunch*

antonia said...

you'll be missed

have a blessed 2007!