Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Legal...

... and it was much less painful than I thought it would be. Today we completed the birth registration of Cecilia Therese which we started last week. We needed photo ids and something from the OB/GYN we saw a couple of times during the pregnancy to prove that I really had been pregnant with the baby we brought in last week and that this was not a black market baby. Luckily I had kept close tabs on my ultrasound report and was able to bring it in.

The two women that I worked with as we filled in the forms and chatted were incredibly friendly and very nice to work with. How often can one say that about a civil servant. I think perhaps it has something to do with being in a small town. Things in a small town tend to be slower than in the cities and even more intimate. There are fewer demands on the city employee in terms of numbers and they can take the time to chat and to actually care.

So when we finished the lady in charge took an envelope and, in beautiful cursive, wrote Cecilia's full name and was careful to add the accents on the two e's in Therese and then put her paper work in it as she congratulated me that she was now "legal".

It was a good feeling and was a nice cap to the first two weeks of Cecilia's life. Now if I could just figure out what I am eating that has been making her so gassy the past 48 hours. Poor baby! Poor me - I have banned C H O C O L A T E from my diet for the next few days in an attempt to determine if that is the culprit!

I'll let you know how it goes...


IGNORE

4 comments:

antonia said...

oh congratulations!!!!!!!
I am so happy for you! and what a beautiful choice of names for such a beautiful girl!!

God Bless

xxxxx

Bekah said...

Congratulations!! Cecilia is one of my favorite names. Unfortunately, it just will not work with our last name...Cecilia Sealey, nah. I'm so happy that your paperwork filing went so smoothly. Ours was pretty simple with our unassisted birth a couple babies back. We did have to bring him to a doc to verify our birth, which put me in a little bit of a panic since I did not see him during pregnancy and he had never seen my kids (new to the area), but he just took a quick look and determined all was ok as far as he was concerned.

I have to vent about current difficulties with the federal gov't though. For some reason, when we filed, we never received newest daughter's SS card, as we have with all the others. I am confident we checked the box on the birth cert. Last week I drove to our county office to get the official BC, tried to stop at the SS office when I picked DH up from work, but the line was too long to get back home in time to pick up the older kiddos from school. So he went back yesterday, only to be told we need hospital documentation (home birth...), vaccination records (we don't...), a non Medicaid insurance card (guess what?), or a picture id (ten to one you need a SS# to get one and she's not even a year...). Frustrating!! She said you can use a baptismal record, but doesn't recommend it. And, oh so helpfully, "You should have received the card." Like it's somehow our fault?

A baptismal cert. is all we've got, so say a prayer for us, okay? We need the SS to file our taxes. Nevermind the worry of fraud due to the missing SS card we never received...

Bekah said...

Thank you for the suggestions. If dh's trip back to the SS office with the baptismal record does not produce necessary results today, I will contact the state officials.

We already need to check on my 4yo son's credit, due to a bank mixup with his savings account and somebody else's mortgage account. Now I'll have to add baby girl to the list.

Bekah said...

Wanted to update you on the outcome. Dh saw a different employee today who didn't bat an eye at the baptismal certificate. We have a print out with the number that was issued her, so we can file, and a card is being resent. He didn't think to ask about the fraud aspect, though. I'll have to do more research on that.