Friday, November 23, 2007

Did you know...

that "although whooping cough can occur at any age, it's most severe in unimmunized children and in infants under 1 year of age (early immunization can usually prevent this serious disease in babies). But more cases have been reported in teens and adults, because their immunity has faded since their original vaccination. That's why the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recently recommended that kids who are 11-18 years old get a booster shot that includes a pertussis vaccine, preferably when they are 11 to 12 years old." (Read the rest of the article HERE.)

Now how would I have become aware of this little known fact, at least little known to ME before this past week??

Last week our oldest daughter Amanda, who lives in Boston, came home for a four day visit. Despite a rather severe cold, she prepared all of Thanksgiving dinner which I was too sick to enjoy as much as usual, but was very happy for regardless. The rest of the family tucked in and enjoyed every morsel. I enjoyed several turkey sandwiches the following two days as Amanda had thoughtfully bought and cooked TWO turkeys to ensure left overs for us to enjoy, even after she had gone. I also ate most of the left over Apple Crisp my second oldest daughter, Jennifer had contributed to the dinner.

Dinner over, followed by two hours of washing dishes on Sunday and it was almost time for Amanda to depart for the airport. Sadly, we all grouped around and hugged her and I said a prayer of protection for her flights back to Boston. To keep tears away from little ones - I kept reminding them that Amanda would be back in just a few weeks for Christmas.

But I digress. My apologies.

A few days later Amanda called to tell us the results of her Doctor's visit for what we all assumed was a bad cold complicated with a sinus infection. Our daughter has somehow picked up WHOOPING COUGH also known as Pertussis.

So eleven z-packs later and waiting to see who needs boosters; I am calmly handing out pills to those eleven and older and dosing the younger ones with yummy sticky syrup that they all hate.

For those of you who may not have known that this greatly needed vaccination is possibly wearing out as the clock ticks away the minutes and years in your adolescent's life - now you know. So call your child's doctor today and see if your adolescents need a booster. I believe we will be needing about four of these boosters, unless Elsa missed hers. In which case we will be getting five. But with one child with severe asthma and another with a heart condition - I am very grateful for the antibiotics, the vaccinations and the co-operation of all of the medical offices that were involved in treating our family. They made what could have been a very complicated situation go very smoothly.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of your blog! We have 5 little ones and do not vaccinate at all, due to a myriad of information and documentation I have read about adverse reactions. I know this is a "hot" topic, but, I just thought you might want to do some additional research regarding vaccines. I don't expect you to post this, just wanted to share my thoughts with you. God bless you, good mother!!

mum2twelve said...

Dear Anon:

I am aware of the controversies, not only the health issues but also moral issues that some of us struggle with regarding vaccines that have been developed with aborted embryos. It is a difficult world out there!

However, when you have children with serious health issues that you know the vaccines will help protect - it makes it a little easier to decide what line of action to follow for your own family.

If you have any links you would like to share please feel free to forward them to me ( I guess as a comment) and I can either post them or add then through the comments section.

Thank you for your valuable insight - I knew someone would bring it up as is it a very important issue.

Cath said...

We found out about this the hard way, too. There has been an outbreak of it at the elementary school my children attend. It had only been affecting the second and fourth graders (which aren't any of my children) and then we got the call from the Health Department. Someone in my son's fifth grade class had been diagnosed and listed my son as one of his friends/contacts. My son had the nasal test and it came back positive, making him the eighth confirmed case.

All six of us were on the antibiotics -- which our insurance did not cover -- so I have a small idea of what you are going through.

Amanda said...

I'm so soooooooooooooooorrrrry!

I just hope none of you get it. I am suffering in a big way over here. I came home from work tonight and fell on my bed and slept like the dead for 5 hours without even taking off my shoes or eating dinner. I have to go in tomorrow and It's awful. Stupid rent.

Anyway, glad you all have the antibiotics and hope the boosters aren't too miserable. I love you all.

Love,
The Pestilence

Amanda said...

BTW, forgot to mention that the MMR is something to look into too. Dalhousie just a little ways north from me had a huge mumps outbreak recently and they are predicting similar things happening in the states. When I am better I am going to go in and get all my boosters. I promise never to bring home the mumps, though.

Anonymous said...

Strange i never heard of it in adults..i'm very wary of jabs..

Anonymous said...

Most of my 10 children had w/c this past summer and yes, it started with my 14 yo. All had been immunized ( but not boostered) except for my 2 yo and he did get it the worst.
I'm often wary of the so many vaccines that are marketed to the public these days, but this is really a terrible disease if you haven't had the shots and especially if you have a young infant. ( I did at the time, but she at least had one dose, so it helped)). It made me a *believer* in being vaccinated! :)
This was passed on to my nieces and nephews as we were unaware at the time what was going on and I did talk to another lady in our homeschool group who's son had it, so it is obviously making some sort of *comeback*. I wonder how many people get a bad cough and are misdisagnosed?

God bless you all, and prayers that Amanda recovers and no one gets it at your house!

The Woman of the House said...

Thanks for the info. I'll try to remember, we're just working on the first set of immunizations as our oldest two are 3. I hope you all feel better soon.

God bless,

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

My older two were immunized but not my younger three. we just all had "the croup" and my little ones handled it just fine (4 year old had one, wheezy night and needed the nebulizer one time) but a natural immunity is a blessed thing! I just heard in the news yesterday that sinus infections aren't helped by antibiotics...I wonder how many other infections react this way as well (I've heard you heal just as fast on your own from ear infections and have found anecdotally that that is true). I agree that more research is needed (by us and by the "medical experts"). My husband has had chronic athsma since childhood so I understand about extra circumstances (and my daughter gets athsma symptoms every time she gets any kind of cold). Drs admit that the only reason we do all these vaccinations at such an early age (more every year!) is because they can "catch" the members of the "herd" through guilt campaigns. Do they have our best interests in mind?
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=33124
I don't know. It's hard being a mom these days, isn't it?
Praying for you all!