Friday, September 01, 2006

What's for dinner tonight...


Trying to find some variation to the stero-typical Friday fish fry or baked brown beans, I will be offering the following for dinner tonight.

Black Bean and couscous salad:

Prep time: 30 minutes
Ready in: 35 minutes
Servings: 8 people

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup uncooked couscous
1 1/4 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
8 green onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
Bring chicken broth to a boil in a 2 quart or larger sauce pan and stir in the couscous. Cover the pot and remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, vinegar and cumin. Add green onions, red pepper, cilantro, corn and beans and toss to coat.
Fluff the couscous well, breaking up any chunks. Add to the bowl with the vegetables and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve at once or refrigerate until ready to serve.

(Not being a big fan of its flavour - I do not add the cilantro!)

Found on: Allrecipes.com

Obviously I have to double this recipe and I will be serving it with (store bought) corn tortillas lightly fried on a dry (no grease or oil) frying pan with hummus on the side to dip the tortillas in.


Bon Appetite!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

If chicken broth counts as meat for Fridays (it does for us Vegetarians!) look for vegetable broth. OXO makes cubes, and it is also available canned. Sounds tasty! I might try it.

Anonymous said...

Sounds good ! Funny part is that I had never heard of couscous before this morning when I seen it reduced at Big Lots. Being the bargain shopper that I am (after I asked a lady who was putting a box in her cart what it was and she explained that it was a cross between pasta and rice) I bought three boxes . My sixteen year old daughter was helping me put away today's Big Lots bargains when she came across it.She looked at me shook her head and told me that I really didn't have to buy everything that was on the reduced rack. Then I log on tonight and God has had you provide a recipe for me. I think I will add some chicken too since my family is big into meat. Thanks a bunch ! :-)