Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Today...

...one of my cherished children announced, "Oh my, its less than five months to Christmas!"

To which I replied "And even less to Advent".

"Oh.... yeah.", she responded a little less enthusiastically.

But what, I ask you, would Chistmas be - without Advent, without the waiting. And oh BTW even though only one reader attempted to guess where I found the missing advent wreath - I will indulge you - it was in my OTHER bedroom closet, neatly stacked between two boxes in the front.

But do you think I have a clue where EITHER of my two wreaths are at this moment? Ha - you will just have to wait and see....

1 comment:

Lorcan said...

They should thank their stars they are not plain Quakers!!! This is from memory, but here is the gist from the book, "Growing Up Plain." Well, before we get to the book, most - or many-Friends, (Quakers) take the advice against celebrating outward holidays with some latitude. We always celebrated Christmas, in fact my father once figured out how to drag a sled across the roof, leaving sled tracks in the roof snow, with only foot prints to the chimney and back and fake hoof prints, Da was a wee bit of a genus about that sort of thing, he then took a pair of wee boots and made ash foot prints from the hearth to the tree, into the bathroom where the light was out, up the wall, to a replaced light bulb, to the cookies and milk and sherry left for Santa, the cookies were gone, the milk was untouched, the sherry glass empty and on it's side, then back to the chimney... ( so much for the advice against drinking... ) BUT that was my childhood, back to the book growing up plain... The author says that his family was very austere about outward holidays. But, he learned about Christmas in school, so he hung his stocking by the fire Christmas Eve, and as he says, his father must have had a sense of humor, as he filled the little fellows stocking with hay and coal! It is so horrible it is sadly funny! So ... the wee'ns should be dancing with joy about advent as they also get Christmas!!!!