Wednesday, June 07, 2006

A stroll down memory lane.

Sometimes the joy of giving birth is marred by the news that your baby is ill. I remember a miracle that we received following the birth of our third baby and first son. It had been a normal pregnancy that had taken me through the hot Canadian months of July and August with our son finally announcing his presence in early September of ’85.

The labour had been the normal 8 - 12 hours of pain and misery that we get through with the hope and wonder that you will soon actually get to meet the little person who has been playing football for the past months with your bladder. Finally after many false attempts Jonathan crowned and was born. Although my third – he was at that point my smallest baby. Our second baby, a daughter, had weighed in at 9 lbs so this little fellow was almost a full 3 lbs less – a significant difference on the newborn scale.

The first few hours after his birth, so many years later, are now blurred for me but I do remember the first time that I changed his tiny little hospital gown and disposable diaper. His little arms seemed so fragile in comparison to dressing 9 lb baby, never mind my more recent experience with a chubby little 18 month old and a very self sufficient 3 year old. I gently folded his arm back, afraid I would hurt him as I fitted his fresh gown on him. I laughed at myself, imagining that anyone seeing me would think I was a first time mother, and not the mother of three.

I then settled down to feed him, but he was not as vigorous in his nursing as the first two babies had been. Despite my experience we were not falling into a good rhythm. All too soon I learned why when a sergeant major, disguised as a nurse, appeared at the door and gathered my son up and announced; “Your baby has jaundice and needs to be under the lights.” She efficiently wrapped him in his blanket and whisked him out the door in her arms. Shortly after my pediatrician appeared and assured me that all was fine and just a few hours under the lights would right everything, but in the mean time our nursing time was to be strictly regulated to 15 minutes every three hours. Not a great recipe for successful nursing and certainly not a regime I was happy to follow. I felt as though I was only getting to borrow my son for those few precious moments during which he suckled only half heartedly while a nurse would fuss over him with a cold cloth trying to wake him enough to eat. Then off he would be whisked again to settle under his lights like a Floridian bathing under the hot sun, with gauze pads for sunglasses. I was not even allowed to sit beside him in the nursery as I would be in the way. If only I could have just been able to sit there and watch him – it would have been so much easier. Instead I sat with my arms empty; hungrily waiting for my chance to hold my delicate little son, who was growing more yellow each day. It did not help to be the only one in my ward who did not get her baby each time the train of bassinettes passed by. My husband was busy with the two older children at home and unable to visit, but called often to see how his first son was doing. My progress report was never filled with progress.

My pediatrician was very dedicated and stopped by often to reassure me, but not even he could convince the nurses to break their strict rules about access to babies in their nursery. Eventually Jonathan’s bilirubin level leveled off and while it had not yet started to retreat – I was able to convince Dr. Simo to release Jonathan with the promise I would return to the lab in 24 hours for a blood draw to ensure his level had not begun to increase again. Anxious the doctor might change his mind, I called Hugo and urged him to hurry and pick us up.

Once home we settled in a happy routine of being a family of five and the girls happily dragged toys out to show their baby brother while I tried hard to keep him awake long enough to nurse. I tried all the tricks the nurses had shown me but little seemed to work. I tried not to worry too much, but worry I did. And rightly so – as time would tell.

To be continued...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of when my third son (also third child) arrived and I was going to try nursing for the first time. He also had very bad jaundice (looked like a carrot) and they brought the lights to our house. It was a terrible time - I cried and cried because I felt so absolutely responsible. He eventually turned into a fantastic nurser (the only good one) and now, he's a very healthy bouncing 15 year old and all that is so long past. I'm waiting on pins and needles for you to finish the story!

Cathy said...

I, too, am waiting for the next part of the story.

What is it about third children? I was the third and the smallest and had issues that kept me in the hospital 4-6 weeks after I was born. My third child was the smallest and had issues that kept her in the nursery for much of the time with a nurse coming out to check on her the day after we finally got to come home.

Anonymous said...

My third was just the opposite. Over a pound bigger than my next largest newborn, at 10 lbs 14 oz. His was a difficult delivery, too, ended up a hospital transport from our planned homebirth. After his birth, the doctor tugged on the placenta before it had released causing a hemorrhage. It took me over a year to fully recover from that hemorrhage. That's the only time I have ever been anemic.

Coincidentally, this is also the boy I commented about earlier, with the nosebleed. Maybe he'll be a doctor, with the way he likes rushing to the hospital. ;)

Anonymous said...

HI! I am waiting for your next POLL- I really enjoy those!

mum2twelve said...

Hmmm - a new poll. Time to start scratching my head! Any ideas? Something you would like to see a poll on? Ideas are very welcome!
Blessings
mum2twelve aka Christi

Mairin :o) said...

My 6 lb daughter had jaundice too. It was sad and scary. She is still tiny at 19!

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I am so waiting on the next part of this. We recently (2 weeks ago) had our 8th child, a transport after a beautiful homebirth, (our 7th homebirth). She was having much difficultly breathing, and at 6lbs. 13oz., she was a full 2 lbs. smaller than any previous child of ours. I she spent her first 4 days in the NICU, where we were very blessed to keep vigil at her bedside while my parents took care of our 7 young children at home. I had to come home the first night, without my daughter, to recover from delivery, my husband stayed with her. It tore my heart out. I had to fight to nurse her. It was a wreck. Praise to God that we are home now, and growing stronger each day. I can't wait to read the rest of your story, it is quite timely for me.

Anonymous said...

You are asking for POLL ideas? How about something to do with Pentecost? Is anyone going to watch the Pope celebrate it on EWTN? Any family traditions? Any special foods? Novenas? God Bless your beautiful Family! Happy 1st Birthday Elsa! How cute!