Friday, June 30, 2006

I forgive you...

The other day – while in passing my husband made a comment that hurt my feelings. It was not just what he said – but also the manner in which he said it. I felt blamed for something that was not my fault. I realized that in truth he did not mean it was my fault but still… I felt a little hurt.

As I prepared for bed, I mulled it over. “Really,” I thought; “I should point out to him how he has hurt my feelings.”

I began to plan out the conversation and just exactly how I should gently point out to him that “while I am sure you did not realize you had hurt my feelings you had, in point, done so.” As I brushed my teeth vigorously another question posed itself.

“If I was so certain that he had not intended to hurt my feelings – why should I point it out to him?”

I knew he was very stressed over how a few things had gone wrong recently and very preoccupied and what good was it going do to tell him this, except to upset him more? In truth, I was only satisfying my hurt pride by pointing out to him that something in his tone had suggested he blamed me and while I knew he had not meant to blame me, well he should just know that his tone made me feel that way…”

As I flossed slowly, the selfishness of my desire to make sure he knew this sunk in and I resolved to not say anything. Not a word, not even a tiny peep.

And if anyone wants to know what he said is such a way as to hurt my feelings… I can't tell you because, well, because I actually can’t remember anymore.

1 comment:

antonia said...

Thanks so much for sharing that.

It has provided me with food for thought as I prepare for my marriage (28 days & counting..!)

God Bless

-x-