Sunday, May 07, 2006

Julie D., author of Happy Catholic , has left a comment regarding the idea of seeing Over the Hedge as an alternative to the Da Vinci Code, asking if I had seen the reviews or trailors for this movie. I had to admit that I had not, but I have now read one review and will check out some trailors as well.

I have to say the one review I just read, reminded me of the year we first moved to the country and discovered we had mice. Cute, cuddly looking, brown vermin. Being rather short on dinero, I opted for the no nonsence simple tan coloured, wooden, quick kill mousetraps. I left one under the kitchen sink before retiring for the night. With our bedroom being above the kitchen, in this tiny duplex we were residing in, I was awakened sometime in the night by a sharp snaps that rang through the floor under my bed. I rolled over and went back to sleep with a sense a satisfaction. Amazing how parenthood changes our values. At eight, I would have been crying myself to sleep.

In the morning, I checked under the counter and sure enough the trap was sprung having claimed not just one, but two mice. One was slightly larger than the other, giving you the impression that they were a couple who had been out in the night foraging for their little family who were now obviously orphans. As we quickly scooped them into the garbage can before little eyes came down the stairs I commented to Hugo:
"You know, if this were a Disney movie, you and I would be the villians. "

The review of Over the Hedge emphasizes that it has a strong environmental message which leads me to wonder just how much we will all feel the villian, if this review is accurate in its description. I still think I will try to take myself and the kids to a movie somewhere that day - whether it is Over the Hedge, or another movie. If I have the time to see some trailors, I will post some links AND the kids' reaction to them.

4 comments:

Julie D. said...

I am so sorry to hear about Emma's fever. I remember when our oldest was tiny (maybe 4 months old) and had a fever that went up to 104. I was terrified at the time. Can't imagine how awful it was to cope with a fever of 107.

I just remember pouring cold water on Hannah. She screamed and cried and I cried with her while I was doing it. How much worse to have a little one who is old enough to protest verbally ... enough to break your heart! I'll pray for everyone, including the lone driver.

Amanda said...

I've seen the preview, and while it doesn't look like a classic, I think the message is the same one Pa Ingalls used to talk about all the time in the Little House books. When people take over the Prairie or the Big Woods, there's no place for the animals, and the "game" disappears, nothing more sinister than that. There will probably be a lot of potty humour, though.

Renee said...

We are planning on taking our kiddos to Over the Hedge. I would appreciate info about it, because we generally are pretty careful about our movies.

mum2twelve said...

Hi mary poppins not. If you scroll your mouse over my post, you will see that when you scroll over "one review" (in purple) you can click on that and it will take you to a review of the movie.

Later today I will try to post some links to some trailers.

Blessings
mum2twelve