Sunday, April 16, 2006

An explanation...

I don't beleive I explained the tradition of our Easter tree very well. Typically on Good Friday at three o'clock we plant our dead tree, usually in the front yard. And there it sits all weekend until the Easter Vigil, a symbol that reminds us all of Christ's death.

This tradition started shortly after Teddy's birth when I found myself with eight children and pregnant with the ninth and too tired to deal with five children, 8 and under, at the 3 o'clock stations of the Cross. Yet I wanted the day to be special for the children and not just be a holiday. It was Amanda, as I mentioned in the previous post, who told me about the tree. She found it in a book of Easter traditions, if I remember correctly. There were some prayers originally that we said as we prepared the tree. I need to see if I can find them again as I have a new crew that would appreciate them. So for many years while the older children went to the Stations of the Cross the younger ones and I planted our Easter Tree.

And yes - the tree above IS the resurrection of the tree below. And BTW, you can click on any of the photos on the blog and they will open up into a bigger picture.

(PS - if I have missed any glaring type os - please forgive me - I am running on about 3 hours of sleep!)

3 comments:

Amanda said...

The dead tree-to living, I think came from a book, I can't remember. I may have made it up. I'll have to research!

Cathy said...

I hope you and Amanda can find the prayers and any other information. This looks wonderful and like something I would like to try next year with my four.

God bless you and your family -- those at home and those away from you at this time!

Mairin :o) said...

My mom used to do a similar thing when we were little. She used a tree branch, put it in dirt and it would leaf or 'bloom' by Easter. She decorated with tiny chicks in egg shells and other things. It was great!