Friday, February 17, 2006

Ungrateful Children....

The past month, in the name of economy, I have been baking. Many a morning, of late, my children have risen to fresh out of the oven biscuits or muffins baked the afternoon before. Homemade bread either from the oven or piping hot from the bread makers has been teasing their noses. Okay, some mornings it’s been peanut butter cookies with an apple but what’s the difference between that and toast with peanut butter, I ask?

Despite two bread machine 2 lb loaves of raison bread however, yesterday’s pickings were rather slim, as I had been once more gobbled up by the business and my baking ingredients had begun to wane drastically. Sadly - I had to face facts. A grocery trip was in order. I detest buying groceries. But sacrifices must be made in this world so I grabbed a pencil and set to work making my list. On my menu plan, I scratched out cream of carrot and potato soup and replaced it with roast beef sandwiches as I knew I would have little energy left to make dinner from scratch after my marathon grocery spree.

When I left the sun was still shining, but by the time I returned lugging a van full of groceries in with me – the birds had gone to bed and the warm air had just a tinge of chill in it. As the children hurried to help me haul in the goods I heard one child yell; “Sweet!”

My ears picked up. Had he discovered the raisons I had purchased for more yummy bread? Or maybe the maple syrup for the yams we would have this Sunday with our ham dinner? What had elicited such an excited reaction?

CEREAL guys – Mummy bought Cheerios!” To which arose resounding cheers!

Ungrateful wretches!

4 comments:

M. Alexander said...

This reminds me of when I was trying to bake all our bread in the interest of economy but also good taste. The children asked me if we could get some "normal" bread. Ungrateful wretches indeed! LOL

Amanda said...

Hahahahahaha! I love Cheerios. You know, the other day I was eating Wheat Chex...and it tastes almost like Shreddies...

Love
A

Mairin :o) said...

That's how I grew up. Homemade bread, cookies..mmmmm. They just don't realize everyone lives like that.

But may I say..eeewwwww! Cheerios=sawdust!

Rebecca said...

This is hilarious. Why is it that kids like store bought better than homemade? Mine are the same way.