Monday, February 13, 2006

Books we are ploughing through this semester...


Anna and I have been tackling some of Austen's books - often fighting over who gets the copy of the story we are reading. We have now both read Pride and Prejudice and I have (for the second time) finished Emma. I finished first only by claiming seniority and therefore the right to read first, when ever I wanted. Sometimes I am a very selfish mother.

We gave several books from the Redwall series to the kids for Christmas and I am the one currently reading them. They are quite fun and exciting, and I think I will begin reading the first in the series to the children in the evenings. Miguel has picked up the ine I have just finished and, even though 19, is enjoying it immensely. So far his favourite character is Brother Hugo.

An old favourite that was just re-read here in the family is The Little Princess. Noah is has begun the Narnia series and is currently consuming the Voyage of the Dawn Treader. (We have the original series from the BBC on DVD and have watched it a few times this month.)

Teddy and Bethany have been devouring the Beverly Cleary books. So far, Teddy’s favourite of them is Henry and Beezus and Bethany’s can’t choose between Henry and Beezus or Ramona Forever.

Gabriela is hoping to read Freckles if we can find a new copy as ours has been worn completely out! She is also waiting for Anna to finish with Emma so that she can have a crack at it.

I have begun the daunting task of reading The Story of Britain , in hopes of using it as the basis for a history course on Britain next year. This semester for our history course we are going to watch a series of DVDs I have chosen from NetFlix. We have received the first one on my list, but we have encountered a slight problem. I assume, in the name of economics, the maker of our 50 dollar DVD player has manufactured it so that it can only be controlled by the remote control.

The remote has been dropped one time too many.

So either we need to find a universal remote that will work with this brand and model of DVD player, or we need to buy a new player. I’m voting for a new player as the remote will probably cost almost as much as a player.

Well – the timer has gone and recess is over so watch for the list of historical DVDs later.

2 comments:

Jen Ambrose said...

History of Britain was also made into television programming. You can rent the DVD's from Netflix. My mother got me the complete set for Christmas a few years back. Even if you are planning on sticking with Schama's book, his DVD's make falling in love with English history so easy. I watch them over and over again.

Dory said...

I can't find your article about St Isidore?? Please help! We are desperately struggling with severe computer problem...
Thanks