Sunday, September 18, 2005

Mice, mice, mice everywhere!


We have been experiencing a mouse problem of epidemic proportions! So, sadly we have had to resort to... POISON!

Blegh! But - it's the mice - or us! We have been gradually losing turf to them. First it was the drawers so silverware was moved to the counter top, then under the sink we noticed mousie doo. Now we have to cover our plates in the cupboards. It's getting so we are almost afraid to eat without washing everything a second time!

Well, today I decided to check on the box of poison hidden in the back of the now empty silverware drawer. It was mid-day and because I was scheduled to go get groceries I had my contacts in so I could see to drive the ten blocks there. Good thing too. Because as I opened the drawer I disturbed a little grey demon - uh mouse, I mean. I don't know who was more startled, him or me. He certainly jumped the highest, which is what provoked my little scream of surprise. "A MOUSE!"
Emma, almost 3, and Tanny Paul, 5, came running. "Let me tee! let me tee!!!"
Said demon, err mouse, jumped again and I jumped too with another squeak! This startled my audience. If this creature could make mummy jump like that - then this was a monster indeed. Their eyes round, and hair almost on end they both proclaimed; "Ewww! I hate mite! Ewwww!! I cared of mite"

Nathaniel though, all boy, did ask to "Hee de mout" again. I told him; "Oh no, the mouse is gone. He went home!" I did not want him digging around in the drawers looking for it. I was worried he might get bitten, or worse, find the little box of nasty green poison. Teddy, almost nine, being "helpful" opened the bottom cupboard doors. "Oh! He is hiding behind the garbage bags - right there!"

"No, no he's NOT!" I firmly admonished him. "Get - scoot! All of you! The mouse is GONE!!"

Ten minutes later, having almost forgotten the mouse affair, I was settled at my desk trying to finish my grocery list, so I could eventually take those contacts out of my burning, tear streaming eyes. Emma suddenly appeared with a spray bottle of Tub and Tile bathroom cleanser in her little paw!

"Ewwww! I hate Mite! Let me tee the mite! I will kill with dis!" And she brandished her lethal bottle of all natural non-toxic cleanser!

Oh - I wish it was that easy! Just stalk through the house with a spray bottle in each hand calling the little mousies to me. Squirt! squirt! No more mice! Yes, that would be very nice indeed - wouldn't it?

PS - this coming Tuesday when we return from a business trip look for one of Anna's comics to be illustrating this story! She worked on one Saturday, but was unhappy with the proportions with one of his characters.

Saint Christopher pray for safety for us on the road!

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I guess the Zacks aren't hunting dogs. Maybe you could get a kitty and name her Zack 3... :-)

Amanda said...

Yes, I'm going to say, what about the lazy cats!?!? There are 3 or 4 of them, aren't there?!

Ack!

mum2twelve said...

Yes we have FOUR CATS! However, they are vastly outnumbered by the mice! And sadly James (a Ragdoll) and Sam (Himalayan) do not HUNT - it is beneath them. Seren,is doing her best, but sadly no longer has the assistance of Cappie, who passed away last month. Harlie, being of a vintage age believes she has passed the age of earning her keep, so she too lays about watching Seren work her tail off!

Blessings from Atlanta, Georgia having sailed through Florida - just ahead of Rita!
mum2twelve
mum2twelve@yahoo.com

Mama Heffalump said...

We had these demons... er mice in our home when I was 9 months pregnant with Lil Lumpy. Their favorite spot? The clean dish towel drawer! Had to take everything out and wash everyday! ACK! Took glue traps to finally catch the little critters...

*Have a safe trip! Looking forward to the drawing!*

Dory said...

Sooooo,when did the mice come to visit??
I still can't believe the cats aren't getting them?!
I hope your trip brings you home safely.
I also am looking forward to see Anna's pic :)