Friday, July 22, 2005

I have been replaced...

Lately I have noticed that when I try to talk to my husband he seems distracted. Often he is grinning, and sometimes even chuckling a bit. So I will raise my voice.
“Ahem – did you hear that last thing I said?”

“Yup.” – he continues to grin and chuckle.

“What was it?”

“Err, something about the dog needed a walk or…”

“Not Quite. I said that Teddy took the dog for a walk and … are you listening?” I ask again – as his grin broadens even more, and he starts to talk in a low voice in Spanish. “Hola Chicitita! Linda, sinverguenza!!”

“I’m sorry,” he says, looking guilty. “What did you say? I’m trying to listen, really I am!” But his eyes are not on me as he speaks. They are glued on this lovely picture before him.

Feeling even more annoyed I try again, but within seconds I realize that it is useless. After all – what is my story compared to the beautiful baby balanced on his lap? Sighing, I give up, and then laugh.

“Honey!” –I say as I join him in his worship of this chubby little Buddha. “It looks like I have been replaced by a younger woman!”

1 comment:

Kate said...

I relate...except it is our son that has my husband mesmerised. From the time hubby gets home in the evening, the two of them are entirely wrapped up in each other. :-)