Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Mid week poll update

So far "ambivalence" is in the lead...

What will you do when the Da Vinci Code opens on the 19th?

Answers Votes Percent
1.
I am planning on boycotting it. 4 9%
2.
I plan on "othercotting" it by seeing something else that day. 5 11%
3.
I'm actually going to see it. 3 7%
4.
I am going to protest it with friends outside our theater. 2 5%
5.
I am ambivilant about it and will probably do nothing. 28 64%
6.
While I feel strongly against it - I am unsure what I will do. 2 5%

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me too! There isn't much I can do about it, so I did #6, but if I could drive I would be "othercotting" it...I guess now you could say I was boycotting it... Oh well!

Amanda said...

I think a lot of people are bemused by the recent uproar, because the book has been out for years, and there has already been a lot of discussion about the true/false aspects of the fiction. I read the book back in 2003, and walked away with the impression that it was badly researched and badly written. There's a lot of fascinating academic research about the role Constantine's government played in the shaping of institutional/governmental Christianity, but Brown just took a few sensationalist ideas and ran with them to create terrible thriller prose (Worse than Tom Clancy). And now we have a terrible thriller movie with Tom Hanks wearing terrible thriller hair.

I myself struggle with the idea of movies at all--millions of dollars making fake war, fake suffering, fake emotion, instead of being put to use to help relieve the real war, real suffering, real emotion. Sometimes I think that the movies allow us to ignore what's really going on in the world by wrapping up shadows of the real issues in a comfortable package we can process, go through some catharsis, and then forget. But that's another conversation altogether.